Cooling Center Information & Tips to Beat the Heat
Tulare County is expected to experience temperatures over 100 degrees this weekend, with the high predicted to reach 108 on Saturday, June 29, in some areas of the county.
Tulare County and incorporated cities offer Cooling Centers during the hot daytime hours. The most recent list of Cooling Centers county-wide is available anytime at http://www.tularecounty.ca.gov/county/index.cfm/emergencies/cooling-centers/, or call 2-1-1 of Tulare County.
Residents can protect themselves against heat-related illnesses during high heat conditions by following these recommended measures:
· Drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcoholic or caffeinated beverages.
· NEVER leave any person or animal unattended in closed, parked vehicles. Heat build-up exceeds tolerance levels very quickly and can result in serious illness or death.
· Use air conditioning or spend time in air-conditioned locations like malls or libraries.
· Use portable electric fans to exhaust hot air from rooms or draw in cooler air.
· Avoid unnecessary physical activity if you are outside or in a hot building.
· Avoid going out in the heat and direct sunlight if you can, or rest often in shady areas.
· When exposed to direct sunlight, wear a head covering.
· Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting cotton clothing.
· Eat light, cool, and easy-to-digest foods such as fruit or salad, avoiding heavy meals and table salts.
· Ask your physician if you need to make any changes to daily medications when exposed to high temperatures.
· Keep electric lights down low or turned off and avoid using your oven.
· Keep shades drawn and blinds closed but windows slightly open (if you are without A/C)
· Take a cool bath or shower periodically, or apply cool towels to cool down your body.
· Keep in contact with friends and family who may be at greater risk of heat illness, such as infants and young children, the elderly, and those with health risks.
Common symptoms of heat-related illnesses include:
· ?Profuse sweating ?
· Weakness ?
· Headache ?
· Dim or blurred vision ?
· Cold, damp skin
· ?Extreme tiredness ?
· Nausea ?
· Hot, dry skin