PROCEDURE FOR INMATE MARRIAGES
Please allow 1-2 weeks to finalize all details.
A. The intended spouse will be required to:
1. Obtain a confidential marriage license from the County Clerk (636-5051).
2. Obtain all necessary documents and to pay any required fees.
3. Provide a valid State issued DL or ID card for the incarcerated individual. No photocopies. Birth Certificates can’t be used in lieu of ID/DL
4. Make arrangements with a clergyman or licensed official to perform the ceremony.
B. The Clergyman or Licensed Official:
1. Will obtain the “Affidavit of Inability to Physically Appear and Application for License” form from the Clerk (at the Court House).
2. *Will call the Inmate Programs Notary at 735-1671 to schedule an appointment to have the documents notarized.
3. The minister will state on the form the name of the inmate and the reason. (He/she can not appear in person before the Tulare County Clerk or any Tulare County Judge in private chamber or any authorized to administer oath because he/she is incarcerated in a Tulare County Jail).
4. The minister and the intended spouse will go to the Tulare County Clerks office to purchase a Confidential Marriage license and surrender the “Affidavit of Inability and Application for License” to the County Clerk in order to purchase the license. Valid photo ID is required.
5. *The minister along with bride/groom will make special arrangements with the Duty Sergeant to perform the ceremony at the facility, with a minimum of 48 hours notice.
6. After completion of the ceremony and appropriate signatures are on the marriage license, it will be returned to the Tulare County Clerk by the minister.
C. Facility arrangements:
1. Facility Personnel will verify identification of intended spouse and minister.
2. Only the intended spouse and the Minister/Licensed official will be permitted to enter the facility to participate in the ceremony. Marriages will take place during the normal work day. Generally, Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Additional questions regarding these procedures may be directed to the Tulare County Clerks Office at 636-5051 ext 5063 Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
* Arrangements for the actual ceremony must be made at least 48 hours in advance with the Duty Sergeant of the facility where the inmate is housed.
Since 1852, The Tulare County Sheriff's Office has worked in partnership with the community to improve quality of life through professionalism, excellence and trust.
We at the Sheriff's Office understand the internet can be a powerful tool. Please feel free to contact us and let us know how we can make our web site more useful for the community.
Tulare County Sheriff's Headquarters
833 S. Akers St.
Visalia, CA 93277
Phone (559) 802-9400
Fax (559) 740-4450
Website comments to: email@example.com
Office Hours: 8 AM - 5 PM, Monday - Friday (Closed on holidays)
24 hours per day for emergency services
Hours for the Records Unit Window: 8 AM - 5 PM
(CCW applications, document requests, Livescan fingerprinting etc)
Thank you for all of your support.
Sheriff - Coroner