Volunteer Selection Requirements
Applicants will first be screened for acceptance as Citizen Volunteers by the volunteer team they wish to join. Applicants will subsequently be subject to an extensive background check conducted by the Sheriff's Department.
The following selection requirements have been established:
1. Minimum 18 years of age (Citizen Volunteer)
2. Must be a United States citizen or a legal alien who has applied for citizenship.
3. Must possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.
4. Must possess a valid California Driver's License and current vehicle insurance or bond, at the time of appointment.
5. Must attend and fulfill the requirements as outlined in the initial 80-hour SAR Academy.
6. Must possess a current American Red Cross Basic First Aid/CPR card or equivalent.
7. Must be in good physical condition with weight in proper proportion to height. Citizen Volunteers who are physically handicapped may be considered for specific assignment on a case by case basis. Citizen Volunteers who plan to become fully qualified to work on actual SAR missions will also be required to pass a physical agility evaluation.
8. Vision must be 20/100 or better, correctable to 20/30 or better in each eye.
9. Good moral character, conviction of a felony is disqualifying. Aapplicants will be required to have an extensive background check conducted on their status as non-sworn employee.
10. SAR members must be able to provide their own transportation to and from all SAR activities.