Location: 31400 Block of Avenue 132, Visalia

Incident Date: 9-21-15

Incident Time: 0918

Case Number: 15-11888

Victim: State of California

Posted by: Media Relations

At 9:18 a.m. Monday, Sept. 21, 2015, Tulare County Sheriff Deputies responded to the 31400 block of Rd 132 regarding a disturbance involving weapons still in progress.  Deputies received information from family members on scene that an elderly family member was making threats while armed with a handgun.

When the first deputy arrived at 9:22 a.m., they met with a family member inside the home.

At 9:24 a.m., the deputy witnessed the suspect, Nova Edgar, 82, of Visalia, brandishing a handgun.  The first deputy on scene was able to push the family member out of the home to ensure their safety. Edgar barricaded herself into a room and verbally threatened to shoot the Deputy.

Negotiations began which lasted three hours, including the efforts of a Tulare County Sheriff's Office Hostage Negotiator.

During this time, members of the Sheriff's Tactical Enforcement Personnel (STEP) were called to the scene to provide communications equipment including remote cameras and a robot with audio and video capabilities. 

At about 12:30 p.m., Nova Edgar exited a room brandishing a handgun while advancing toward Deputies. Two single shots were fired by two separate deputies.

Edgar sustained one gunshot wound to the right arm. As officers approached her, the gun was firmly in her hand and had to be removed. 

An ambulance that had been staged nearby transported Edgar to Kaweah Delta Medical Center.  Edgar was listed in stable condition Monday afternoon and the wound was described by hospital staff as non-life threatening.

Per Sheriff Mike Boudreaux's request, the Visalia Police Department is investigating the officer involved shooting. The two deputies who fired their weapons were placed on paid administrative leave as a matter of standard procedure. Their names have not been released.

In the past, deputies have been called three times to this home on the 31400 block of Road 132, just north of the St. Johns River and south of Avenue 320. None of those calls for service were this serious.