Location: 16500 block of Vanowen, Van Nuys, CA.
Incident Date: 06-03-15
Incident Time: 0800
Case Number: 15-60614
Victim: State of California
Posted by: Media Relations
SUSPECT: Arutyun Varikyan (60 YOA), Van Nuys Ca.
Detectives from the Sheriff’s Tactical Enforcement Personnel (S.T.E.P.) team had conducted an investigation into a large scale marijuana grow site located at the 11200 block of Avenue 16 in Delano which is inside Tulare County. A search warrant was obtained for the 60 Acre parcel, which included 49 green houses. With the assistance, of Gang Unit, Narcotics Unit, Code Enforcement, RMA Road Department, Bakersfield HIDTA, CALMMET, Animal Control and National Guard, the warrant was served. 30 suspects were arrested and charged with cultivation of marijuana and possession for sales.
1. 12,311 Marijuana plants were eradicated
2. 3 guns collected and
3. $14,362 in US currency was seized
4. 30 subjects were detained, interviewed and booked for investigation of cultivation, and possession for sales of marijuana.
5. Approximately 49.5 lbs. of fully processed marijuana was seized, with a value of $49,500.
6. 2,661 lbs. of partially processed marijuana was seized, with an approximated value of $2,661,000.
7. In total, the value of the marijuana located at this site was $27,372,500
Since this date, Detectives conducted further investigation, identifying Arutyun Varikyan, as one of the main suspects responsible for cultivating marijuana at the 11200 block of Avenue 16 in Delano. A search warrant was obtained for his residence in the 16500 block of Vanowen, Van Nuys, CA. An arrest warrant was also obtained charging Varikyan with HS 11358, HS 11359, PC 12022(a)(1) (3 CNTS), HS 11366(a)/F1, PC 487(a)/F1 (5 CNTS).
STEP Detectives and LAPD, responded to the address at 16500 block of Vanowen, Van Nuys, CA., and executed the search warrant . Varikyan was arrested without incident and booked into the LAPD Van Nuys Division Jail.
This case is still under investigation, anyone with information regarding the case can contact the Tulare County Sheriff’s Department at 559-733-6218 or 1-800-808-4288.