A list of the local, state, and federal partners that are available for your specific recovery needs:

Federal Resources

  • Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) - Available to provide financial and direct assistance to eligible individuals and households for housing and disaster-related needs. The fastest way to apply is through DisasterAssistance.gov. You can also apply through the FEMA mobile app or by calling 1-800-621-3362. Local Disaster Recovery Centers are available, click here to find a location nearest you.
  • National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP): There is an ongoing flood risk in Tulare County, residents should consider purchasing Flood Insurance. Residents and property owners can purchase flood insurance policies through FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to help residents recover and rebuild faster if their property floods, as well as provide them one less thing to worry about if flooding damages their home or belongings. Learn more about the National Flood Insurance Program at: https://www.floodsmart.gov/ or speak with your local insurance provider.

State Resources

  • California Veteran's Affairs (CALVET) - Provides guidance and information to those that have a CALVET loan and have suffered losses.

  • Department of Insurance (CDI) - Provides assistance on handling delays, additional living expenses, under insurance disputes, etc. 

  • Department of Mental Health (DMH) - Coordinates the implementation of federal crisis counseling programs through the local mental health offices. 

  • Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) - Responds to questions and provides forms needed to assist individuals in replacing DMV documents, like driver's licenses, ID cards, and vehicle registration certificates and certificates of title that were lost as a result of the disaster. 

  • Employment Development Department (EDD) - Provides unemployment insurance payments for workers who lost their job through no fault of their own. They also administer the Federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) Program when implemented in a major disaster declaration. 

Local Resources

  • Tulare County Assessor's Office Property Tax Relief - Winter storms have caused significant damage and, in some cases, devastating losses. By filing a claim for reassessment with the Tulare County Assessor’s Office within 12 months of the date the property was damaged, owners of properties that have sustained a minimum of $10,000 in damage may be eligible for a refund of taxes already paid and lower annual tax bills until the property is repaired or rebuilt. An Application for Reassessment of Property Damaged or Destroyed by Misfortune or Calamity will be mailed upon request by calling the Tulare County Assessor’s Office at (559) 636-5100.

  • Tulare County Health and Human Services Agency (TC HHSA) - Environmental Health Division - Provides information regarding septic systems, food and drinking water safety, hazardous materials, and private wells. 

  • TC HHSA - Mental Health Services - The Mental Health Department is dedicated to community wellness and health protection in Tulare County which includes Adult System of Care, Mental Health, Children's Mental Health and Managed Care. 

  • TC HHSA, TulareWORKs - The Tulare County Department of Social Services assists adults, children, and families to achieve health, safety, and self-sufficiency through a diverse range of programs and partnerships. Program services include: Medi-Cal, CalFresh, CalWORKS, Welfare to Work, General Relief, CAPI. 

  • TC HHSA, Adult Protective Services - The program provides services such as: Counseling for elderly or disabled persons as well as for their family members, Representative Payee Services for money management, referral to legal services, assistance locating alternative living arrangements, connections to other community services and benefits. 

  • TC HHSA, In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) - When you apply for assistance from IHSS, a social worker will visit your home to talk with you about the type of tasks you need help with. Then they will authorize services according to your ability to perform certain daily activities. Services may include: help with household chores  (such as cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, and running errands); personal care services (such as dressing, bathing, and feeding); medical accompaniment when deemed necessary; and supervision of non-self-directing individuals. 

  • TC HHSA, Child Welfare Services (CWS) - CWS Family Advocates provide assistance to families involved in the CWS system. This may include birth parents, children, relatives, and resource families. The CWS Family Advocate provides support and answers questions about CWS and the Juvenile Court process. Further services may include: addressing concerns and complaints from biological and resources families regarding CWS, advocating for families and facilitating improved communication with CWS staff and service providers, thoroughly explaining the CWS and Juvenile Court Process as well as staff roles in it, encouraging and promoting family participation in case planning and case decision-making, answering questions regarding CWS policies and procedures, and providing resources as needed. 

  • TC HHSA, Veteran's Service Office (VSO) - VSO duty areas consist of filing accurate claims for obtaining benefits and entitlements from the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs, Department of Defense, and State and local programs. The office is comprised of federally accredited representatives that provide quality customer service at the highest level that guide veteran's with respect. 

  • Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) - Administers and implements the Federal Child Support Program for the State of California in Tulare County by assisting families with establishing parentage and the establishment and enforcement of child support and medical support in an equitable, timely, and courteous manner. 

  • United Way and 2-1-1 - 2-1-1- services as a lifeline to individuals and families in need. Operators are available around the clock, 365 days a year and offers assistance in multiple languages. They can help connect residents to everything from basic emergency services (like housing and food), to job assistance training, translation services, mental health services, and so much more. 

  • Workforce Investment Board (WIB) - Workforce Connection prepares our community for careers in various industries that promote self-sufficiency, not just jobs to carry them through to the next paycheck. Providing opportunities that build the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to meet employer needs and be completely in the workforce today. 

  • American Red Cross - No matter the emergency, the American Red Cross Central CA Chapter is here to help with disaster recovery. 

  • Community Services Employment Trainings, Inc. (CSET) - CSET will be providing emergency response assistance for seniors and community members who are seeking rental and utility assistance. Their focus will be linkage and referral services for Seniors in Porterville.