Requests to inspect and copy public records should be made directly to the responsible department or agency.


California Public Records Act

The California Public Records Act was enacted in 1968 by the California Legislature under Government Code Sections 6250-6270. The California Legislature declares that access to information concerning the conduct of the people's business is a fundamental and necessary right of every person in the state. Pursuant to Government Code Section 6252(e), "Public records includes any writing containing information relating to the conduct of the public's business prepared, owned, used or retained by any state or local agency regardless of physical form of characteristics."

The Public Records Act provides disclosure of existing identifiable records. The County of Tulare is not required to prepare new records in response to a request, or to compile, or index information or records in a form that does not exist at the time of the request.

How to Submit a Public Records Act Request

To open a Public Records Act Request visit Public Records Act Requests can also be made verbally or in writing and submitted to the Clerk of the Board, 2800 W. Burrel Avenue, Visalia, CA 93291, during regular business hours, Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Fridays, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. or by email at Please be sure to be specific and give as much detail regarding the records you are seeking to assist staff in locating the requested information. For example, information such as the title of a document, agreement number, or date range(s) are helpful.


Fees for Responsive Records

There is no cost for receiving record electronically (e.g., email). However, the County does charge 50 cents for the first page and 10 cents per additional pages (8.5" by 11") when requested to print records. For requests requiring records to be placed on a media device, such as a thumb-drive or CD, the County will assess a fee to cover the actual cost of the media used.

Anonymous Requests

Although you are not required to provide your name, you must provide contact information in order for the responding agency to contact you. The responding agency may contact you to get clarification on your request or to send you the responsive records. You may use a non-identifying contact information (e.g.