Before applying for an automated solar plan review and solar permit, projects must follow certain requirements. At this time, SolarAPP+ is designed to provide a code-compliance check for the majority of residential, roof-mounted, retrofit photovoltaic systems. To see which systems are eligible, please refer to the Eligibility Checklist. Only projects that conform to this list are eligible to use the automated SolarAPP+ portal for instant permitting.
NOTE: Any solar projects located at or above 3,000 feet elevation must be submitted through our Online Building Permitting Application, not SolarAPP+.
Eligibility to use SolarAPP+
- Main Dwelling Rooftop, Permitted, Residential structures only.
- Must be Licensed contractor that has previously registered with SolarAPP+.
- Located in unincorporated Tulare County and not under any city jurisdiction, except for City of Exeter, and City of Farmersville.
- For a full list of requirements, please click here.
1) Submit for automated review through SolarAPP+
- To start using SolarAPP+, register and submit your design through the SolarAPP+ Webpage.
- A processing fee will be charged by SolarAPP+.
- Download the approved plans.
NOTE: If your project is rejected please work directly with SolarAPP+.
2) Apply for a Permit
- Active contractors license by the California State License Board is required.
- Apply for a Solar Residential (SolarAPP) permit in the CSS Portal
- Attach your SolarAPP+ Approval Document
- Attach a Site Plan
- Upload a signed Agent Authorization form with copy of Property owner's government issued ID OR a copy of the signed contract between the contractor and property owner.
- Pay for the Permit
3) Schedule an Inspection
- Building inspections are typically carried out the next business day after the request unless otherwise noted.
- Call in for inspections using our automated inspection scheduling system at (559) 624-7104.
- Submit for a revision through SolarAPP+ first, you will be provided with a downloadable revised SolarAPP+ Approval Document.
- Call the Permit Center at (559) 624-7000 to request a revision to your existing permit. Permit Center staff will look up the status of the existing permit to determine whether a revision can be made or a new permit is needed and will provide further instructions. Additional fees will apply.